How long have you been going through peri-menopause?

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Birth Control for Peri-Menopause Relief

I saw my gynecologist on Tuesday and she prescribed a low dose birth control pill (Levora) to take daily. She suggested I start taking it the Sunday after my period starts so that I'm not on my cycle during the weekend. However, I would rather not be menstruating during my work week due to the constant need to go to the bathroom, the uncleanliness, and just the feeling of "am I leaking". Since I would rather have my period on the weekend if I have to have it at all, I will take the pill the next day if I start menstruating during the week to weaken or stop the cycle completely.

The doctor suggested that I take the Levora to balance my hormones of estrogen and progesterone. She says that from experience this dosage should help with the hot flashes, night sweats, and possibly even the insomnia. If it does not help the insomnia then she will have to prescribe something else.

She believes I will be on the pill for a year by which time, I should be in menopause. When this happens then she will most likely have to start me on hormone therapy for a few more years up to 5 total.

No comments:

Post a Comment